Best Sample

Everything about Carter USM

Best Sample

Postby ravey davey gravy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:41 pm

I heard The 90s Revival this morning and it really made me smile when Phil Danniels says 'I cant think straight thats all, I mean...' and then the piano kicks in with a frenzy. I love that bit. Its up there with the best of Carter samples.

But what is the best sample Carter used?
User avatar
ravey davey gravy
King Of The Forum Jungle
King Of The Forum Jungle
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:56 pm
Location: Derby

Postby happyhibbee » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:53 pm

Goodbye Ruby Tuesday, would you class that as a sample, Mick never he obviously thought it was a rip off
GGTTH!
User avatar
happyhibbee
Tiger
Tiger
 
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:01 pm

Postby phantomguitarist » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 pm

Gotta be the Thin White Duke innit??? Wham bam.
CARTER THE STOPPABLE SEX MACHINE
User avatar
phantomguitarist
Lion-O
Lion-O
 
Posts: 4316
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Location:Location

Postby happyhibbee » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:53 pm

phantomguitarist wrote:Gotta be the Thin White Duke innit??? Wham bam.
Wonder if Davie boy ever thought about suing the lads, Fruitbob or Jimbat (tis the new craze ye know, Amalgamating names) Like Katie holmes and Tom Cruise "tomcat"!......shite eh! loads of potential fun there though get your thinking caps on
GGTTH!
User avatar
happyhibbee
Tiger
Tiger
 
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:01 pm

Postby CRAZYCARTERCREW » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:46 pm

you can't sing, you can't play, you look awful......you'll go along way

Jim's washing machine

Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when im angry

my fav's
Emergency, Which service?
User avatar
CRAZYCARTERCREW
King Of The Forum Jungle
King Of The Forum Jungle
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:32 pm
Location: Robin Hood Country

Postby always_drunk » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:08 pm

happyhibbee wrote:Mick never he obviously thought it was a rip off


IIRC it was actually their old manager, Loog-Oldham, who now owns the rights to their early work that sued Carter. I seem to remember something about cheques being sent to Mick & Keef but never being cashed.

My favourite samples are the ones taken from the Monkees film Head.
User avatar
always_drunk
Lion-O
Lion-O
 
Posts: 5131
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:51 pm
Location: Glasgow, NOT Glasvegas

Postby happyhibbee » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:31 pm

never knew that AD so do you think Mick and co arent money grabbing wrinkly bastards :D
User avatar
happyhibbee
Tiger
Tiger
 
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:01 pm

Postby SPARE FLYER » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:42 pm

shaduz, on me lungs this is the end of me.

Michael from Alfie. Class
'I know a little latin man a cus man a kai'
SPARE FLYER
Small Fluffy Kitten
Small Fluffy Kitten
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:21 pm

Postby always_drunk » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:10 am

happyhibbee wrote:never knew that AD so do you think Mick and co arent money grabbing wrinkly bastards :D


Well i think they make a fortune and haven't produced a good album in years but i don't think they'd be that interested in suing people like Carter or The Verve for doing something that pays homage to them.
User avatar
always_drunk
Lion-O
Lion-O
 
Posts: 5131
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:51 pm
Location: Glasgow, NOT Glasvegas

Postby lacivi » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:34 pm

"You may dress like a Christian, but the similarity ends there."

Best sample, and best song for that matter.
User avatar
lacivi
Small Fluffy Kitten
Small Fluffy Kitten
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Jagboy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:30 am

I think the 'Have a good time all the time' sample from Spinal Tap is a fantastic way to start a song....

But my favourite favourite is "What do you think of the programme so far?'

god bless 'im!!!
"Cauliflower Uber Alles"
User avatar
Jagboy
Small Fluffy Kitten
Small Fluffy Kitten
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:20 am

Re: Best Sample

Postby Baldie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:38 am

The start of Surfin' USM.

There's nothing like dragging up an old post for no reason, but I (knock-off Nigel) downloaded all the REd Dwarf episodes for my 11yr old lad a while back. Thought he'd enjoy them.
He's been working his way through them and when I go home from work last night he'd paused it ready to play me the intro to Surfin' USM.

(Series 3 episode 4 I think, Body Swop).

RIMMER: You've reached that age, Listy. When you're younger you can eat what you like, drink what you like and still climb into your 26 inch waist trousers and zip them closed. Then you reach that age -- 24, 25 -- your muscles give up they wave a little white flag and then without any warning at all, you're suddenly a fat bastard.
Image
User avatar
Baldie
Lynx
Lynx
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:05 pm
Location: K'ford....West Midlands

Re: Best Sample

Postby cjsloth » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:21 pm

Baldie wrote:The start of Surfin' USM.

There's nothing like dragging up an old post for no reason, but I (knock-off Nigel) downloaded all the REd Dwarf episodes for my 11yr old lad a while back. Thought he'd enjoy them.
He's been working his way through them and when I go home from work last night he'd paused it ready to play me the intro to Surfin' USM.

(Series 3 episode 4 I think, Body Swop).

RIMMER: You've reached that age, Listy. When you're younger you can eat what you like, drink what you like and still climb into your 26 inch waist trousers and zip them closed. Then you reach that age -- 24, 25 -- your muscles give up they wave a little white flag and then without any warning at all, you're suddenly a fat bastard.


I was flicking through the digital channels a few weeks ago at night and happened across the very same moment, it made me smile!
cjsloth
Lynx
Lynx
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Preston

Re: Best Sample

Postby Senseless Thing » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:57 pm

Surfin USM for me as well but that's probably because I love Red Dwarf
If you have nothing to say then this is the place for you
User avatar
Senseless Thing
Lion-O
Lion-O
 
Posts: 4487
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:26 am
Location: STONEHAVEN

Re: Best Sample

Postby phantomguitarist » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:53 pm

cjsloth wrote:
Baldie wrote:The start of Surfin' USM.

There's nothing like dragging up an old post for no reason, but I (knock-off Nigel) downloaded all the REd Dwarf episodes for my 11yr old lad a while back. Thought he'd enjoy them.
He's been working his way through them and when I go home from work last night he'd paused it ready to play me the intro to Surfin' USM.

(Series 3 episode 4 I think, Body Swop).

RIMMER: You've reached that age, Listy. When you're younger you can eat what you like, drink what you like and still climb into your 26 inch waist trousers and zip them closed. Then you reach that age -- 24, 25 -- your muscles give up they wave a little white flag and then without any warning at all, you're suddenly a fat bastard.


I was flicking through the digital channels a few weeks ago at night and happened across the very same moment, it made me smile!

I too, have done that, and it was weird seeing him say it as I'm more used to just hearing it.
CARTER THE STOPPABLE SEX MACHINE
User avatar
phantomguitarist
Lion-O
Lion-O
 
Posts: 4316
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Location:Location

Next

Return to Carter USM News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

cron