Perfume – Patrick Suskind

Postby man with the stick » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:46 pm

I ordered it from Amazon, along with a couple of books for the kids and the one Skywest recommended (which I've forgotten the name of :oops: ). It's been a few weeks and I checked yesterday to find that Amazon have no record of my order. When I've checked that they haven't taken any money I will order again.
So I can't take part in the reviews, but the book club has inspired me so that must be a good thing.
Sometimes right. Sometimes wrong. Always certain.
man with the stick
King Of The Forum Jungle
King Of The Forum Jungle

Postby Skywest and Crooked » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:48 pm

man with the stick wrote:I ordered it from Amazon, along with a couple of books for the kids and the one Skywest recommended (which I've forgotten the name of :oops: ). It's been a few weeks and I checked yesterday to find that Amazon have no record of my order. When I've checked that they haven't taken any money I will order again.
So I can't take part in the reviews, but the book club has inspired me so that must be a good thing.
Could be Random Acts of Heroic Love? Outstanding book.
Skywest and Crooked
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby man with the stick » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:54 pm

That's the one. I shall give Amazon a (virtual) bollocking and try again.
Sometimes right. Sometimes wrong. Always certain.
man with the stick
King Of The Forum Jungle
King Of The Forum Jungle

Postby mitch » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:24 pm

Thank you! I've nearly finished my current book and had no idea what to get next.
Are you a sardine?
mitch
Lion-O
Lion-O

Re: Perfume – Patrick Suskind

Postby happyhibbee » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:34 pm

micki wrote:March's choice
That is so effin wierd because ive just picked it up from the library, A colleague recommended it a few weeks ago. Will be starting it soon so ile give an opinion Wed/thurs.
GGTTH!
happyhibbee
Tiger
Tiger

Postby phantomguitarist » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:48 pm

I quite liked it I must say. I felt myself sniffing more and more as I read it, like he was getting into my head. An interesting book.
CARTER THE STOPPABLE SEX MACHINE
phantomguitarist
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby Skywest and Crooked » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:58 pm

I will be reading it, just not in time for this!
Skywest and Crooked
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby mitch » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:04 am

phantomguitarist wrote:I quite liked it I must say. I felt myself sniffing more and more as I read it, like he was getting into my head. An interesting book.

That's what I found, which is a strange thing for a character like that. You just get so immersed into his world.
Are you a sardine?
mitch
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby phantomguitarist » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:07 am

mitch wrote:
phantomguitarist wrote:I quite liked it I must say. I felt myself sniffing more and more as I read it, like he was getting into my head. An interesting book.

That's what I found, which is a strange thing for a character like that. You just get so immersed into his world.

The other really weird thing is that I didn't really mind the fact that he was killing all those young girls. Perhaps it was the way the killings were portrayed as necessary for his 'higher goal'. I also loved the part with him hiding away down the volcano, leading the bare minimal existence. One of the most interesting characters I've read in a book for quite a while.
phantomguitarist
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby mitch » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:10 am

That's what I found strange, because I've come across other books where a killer is a likeable character (and/or his victims unlikeable) so you're on their side. In this one, though, I didn't mind what he did. The only time I was made to feel sad about it was when he finally got Laure, and that was mainly for her father's sake.

I just kind of got into his obsessed mind and wanted to see what he was capable of doing with it, so saw the killings as a means to an end, like he did. Bloody good author who can make you do that!
Are you a sardine?
mitch
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby phantomguitarist » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:14 am

Sadly I'd seen the film first, which sort of ruined the surprise somewhat. It was still good to read the descriptions though, no director could portray that with film.
phantomguitarist
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby mitch » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:21 am

phantomguitarist wrote:Sadly I'd seen the film first, which sort of ruined the surprise somewhat. It was still good to read the descriptions though, no director could portray that with film.

That's what puts me off seeing it. I'd just imagine all the film could manage was a serial killer story. Was it any good at all?
Are you a sardine?
mitch
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby phantomguitarist » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:23 am

mitch wrote:
phantomguitarist wrote:Sadly I'd seen the film first, which sort of ruined the surprise somewhat. It was still good to read the descriptions though, no director could portray that with film.

That's what puts me off seeing it. I'd just imagine all the film could manage was a serial killer story. Was it any good at all?

It was alright, but not a patch on the book. There was a nice scene of him distilling a body that was missing from the book. Also the orgy at the end went on a bit longer than the short description in the book merited. Can't really say I was overly impressed, or that I would watch it again.
phantomguitarist
Lion-O
Lion-O

Previous

Return to Book Club