Cycling Back to Happiness

Cycling Back to Happiness

Postby Bernieboy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:44 pm

Hello,

My book is out today - which includes a Carter story about a one armed stage diver in a former Dutch church, who got wet feet - and I wanted to put an unashamed plug right here.

More information from my website: http://www.berniefriend.com

CYCLING BACK TO HAPPINESS - ADVENTURE ON THE NORTH SEA CYCLE ROUTE by Bernie Friend

'Don't let your biggest fears stand in the way of your dreams, even if your biggest dreams happen to be your biggest fears.'

That was exactly Bernie Friend's attitude when he ditched medication and group therapy to overcome a very unwanted companion - paranoia. A complete novice to long distance cycling, Bernie confronted many demons on his epic journey - a coastal cycle route which circles 6,000 kilometres of the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Scotland and England.

Arm wrestling drunken trawlermen, a geriatric half marathon, Viking bring-and-buy sales, decapitated pirates, burning witches, Shakin' Stevens mega mixes, sea crossing motorways, walking sand giants and remote islands which most people can’t even be bothered to mark on a map are just some of the secrets coughed up by the North Sea Cycle Route.

Michael Palin and Bill Bryson watch out! Bernie's very personal story told in an easy-going travelogue style will have you hooked from start to finish.

Hugely entertaining and downright inspirational!

Published by Pen Press (ISBN 9781906206710), Cycling Back to Happiness is available to buy and order in all book stores across Europe, or on http://www.amazon.co.uk, http://www.waterstones.com, http://www.sustransshop.co.uk and through info@penpress.co.uk

Bernie Friend will be signing copies of Cycling Back to Happiness at Waterstones in Southend, on Saturday, May 3, between noon and 2pm. He will also be signing books at Waterstones in Basildon, on Saturday, May 10, between noon and 2pm, before travelling to Ribe, Denmark, on Thursday, May 22, for a European launch.
Bernieboy
Small Fluffy Kitten
Small Fluffy Kitten

Re: Cycling Back to Happiness

Postby Melanie » Tue May 06, 2008 1:18 pm

ohh excellent. saw/heard you on Fruity's show, and then totally forgot the name of the book.

Shall pick it up on my next book trip. :D
"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."
Melanie
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby perks » Tue May 06, 2008 6:22 pm

had hell of a job finding this in sheffield , none of the shops had it but good old Play.com didnt let me down,
I know how you did that
perks
Tiger
Tiger

Postby Bernieboy » Wed May 07, 2008 5:37 pm

Hey, thanks guys! Really appreciate your efforts!

It is gradually filtering into more and more shops, up and down the country, but is available to order in any of them if it isn't in stock, which helps me massively because then they will keep stocking it!

But, as you said, it is all over the internet, from Play.com to Estonia, via Amazon.

Got my first national review this week, Adventure Travel Magazine, who awarded Cycling Back to Happiness Star Book of the Month, ahead of Dave Gorman and Bear Grylls!

I nearly wet myself!

Thanks again guys - your support is genuinely appreciated from the heart!

Bernie x
Bernieboy
Small Fluffy Kitten
Small Fluffy Kitten

Postby perks » Sun May 18, 2008 11:42 pm

The boo has arrived now i am saving it till my hols full review mid july

oh the anticipation
I know how you did that
perks
Tiger
Tiger

Postby Bernieboy » Tue May 27, 2008 4:47 pm

Thanks for the support! And I look forward to reading your review!

Bernie x
Bernieboy
Small Fluffy Kitten
Small Fluffy Kitten

Postby Zwilnik » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:01 pm

Just started reading it and really enjoying it so far :)
Zwilnik
Tiger
Tiger

Postby Bernieboy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:17 pm

Cheers Zwilnik and everybody else who has bought the book so far!

It is really going well at the moment and I have made it into 100 Waterstone's across the UK, from Truro to Inverness and back again!

I'm also being stocked in Brussels, Amsterdam, Gothenburg and Stockholm.

Went to Denmark for a book signing two weeks ago, which was amazing.

They put on a whole day's worth of events; a meal, guided tour of the town and pedal around the coast with sprightly pensioners - they even named a drink after me - with all the proceeds going to Danish Cancer Research, which was a great knock on effect for me as it hopefully benefits us all.

More info in my blog at www.berniefriend.com

Also, if you have bought my book online, it would great if you could leave me a review when you are finished!

Thanks again and be lucky!

Bernie x
Bernieboy
Small Fluffy Kitten
Small Fluffy Kitten

Postby AnnieM » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:11 am

I had the great pleasure of meeting Bernie Friend on Saturday - I'd gone to do a bit of shopping, and who should be signing books in Bristol Waterstones but the man himself?

Lovely chap. Haven't started the book yet but will review it when I've read it
AnnieM
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby Bernieboy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:17 pm

Hey Annie,

It was great to see you at Waterstone's Bristol on Saturday too! I had a really nice day and met some inspirational people, including a guy called Chris who was told he had three months to live, 10-years ago, and has just run the London Marathon, with one lung. Bloody amazing!

Another fella, is off to follow parts of the Tour De France route, but can't enjoy a good quaff of vino as he lost a kidney sticking a pair of handlebars through his stomach. His partner, who he rides a tandem with, is also out of action with reset pins through her toes, which were starting to curl. Uggh!

Always nice to hear people's stories though and I would love to see more of you people too, as Annie, and her big happy smile, brightened up my day on Saturday.

I'll be in the following Waterstone's (all on Saturdays, with 11am kick-offs) on the following dates:

July 5 - Lowestoft
July 12 - Dorking
July 25 - Watford
August 23 - Hastings

Ludgate Circus, London, is also being sorted for a date soon! And there is talk of Inverness, Elgin and Nairn.

Come and say hello if you're about! It really is appreciated.

And, as always, thanks for your support and nice messages.

Bernie x
Bernieboy
Small Fluffy Kitten
Small Fluffy Kitten

Postby Worcester Dan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:10 pm

bah once again Woo Town get missed

:mrgreen:

Enjoying the book Bernie
I turn on my box and it's like punk never happened
Worcester Dan
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby Bernieboy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:39 pm

Hello everyone,

Hope you are trying to have a good summer in this unpredictable weather we love so much :D

Just a quick reminder that I have two book signings left and it would be great for you to come and say hello or heckle me - whatever you fancy really - if you live nearby!

I'm in Beccles, Suffolk, at Bookthrift, tomorrow, Saturday, August 9, at 11.30am.

And, then, I will be setting up shop in Waterstone's Hastings, on Saturday, August 23, at 11am, following the V Festival break and recovery period, in Chelmsford.

Be lucky and thanks for everything as always,

Bernie x

http://www.berniefriend.com
Bernieboy
Small Fluffy Kitten
Small Fluffy Kitten

Postby Bernieboy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:19 pm

Hello all,

If you need a little something special for a loved one's Christmas stocking? Then look no further than a copy of Cycling Back to Happiness, which fits warm and snuggly inside festive parcels, socks and sleighs of all shapes and sizes.

To make that book gift really extra special (yeah, I know this is getting sickening) you can get it signed at one of three signing dates I will be attending in the run-up to Santa flying around the roof-tops.

The dates are:

Chelmsford High Street Waterstone's, Thursday, November 20 (my birthday, by the way), 7pm.

Buy the Book, Oakham, Rutland, Saturday, November 29 (not my birthday), 10am.

One-Way Books, Clarence Road, Southend, Saturday, December 20 (nearly Christmas), 11am.

If you've already dipped into your pocket - then thank you very, very much!!!

Cheers and beers,

Bernie x
Bernieboy
Small Fluffy Kitten
Small Fluffy Kitten

Return to Book Club