September....? maybe August..

September....? maybe August..

Postby Swifty » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:12 am

I will be reading:

Goodnight Jimbob - I've no doubt this has been covered on here but just picked up a copy.
Chasing the Sea: Lost Among the Ghosts of Empire in Central Asia - Tom Bissell
Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith
Monarchy - David Starkey

All whilst sat in a hammock in Kenya, drinking Tusker Beer.. :D :P :D

I will probably plough through these in a week, so any other recommendations gladly recieved..Idon't really do fiction but several people have told me to read Child 44 so I making that the exception.
Artists use lies to tell the truth, politicians use them to cover it up.
Swifty
Lynx
Lynx

Re: September....? maybe August..

Postby happyhibbee » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:31 pm

Just been given a book "The brush-off" by Shane Maloney, Ive got to read it and take it back in on Monday looks good, Started off well. If it is i will let you know and you can add it to Augtembers list
Just remembered Kate Adie has a book out this week. If its half as good as John Simpson's book that will be some read. Anyone gets and reads it first can you post your thought's on it.
GGTTH!
happyhibbee
Tiger
Tiger

Postby AnnieM » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:08 pm

I have been variously reading Geisha by Lesley Downer, Geisha by Liza Dalby and Made In America by Bill Bryson. I've read all three of them before but I'm quite happy re-reading stuff.
AnnieM
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby mitch » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:08 pm

I'm re-reading Birds Without Wings by Louis De Bernieres on account of having voraciously read his first three novels in a row because they were so damn good (and contained giant cats, by the way). Then I felt miserable due to having no more of his wonderful books to read so went back to his best work. Picked up his new one for a mere couple of quid in Oxfam t'other day so now I don't have to wait for it to come into paperback.

I noticed the film version of Captain Corelli's Mandolin is on TV this week so Direct Line will be getting a claim for a new telly if I accidentally catch any of what must be the most appalling adaptation of an amazing book ever.
Are you a sardine?
mitch
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby phantomguitarist » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:08 pm

I think us book reading lot are too busy reading anything that has a spine to actually bother picking out the same tome to read. :)
CARTER THE STOPPABLE SEX MACHINE
phantomguitarist
Lion-O
Lion-O

Return to Book Club