I think you should all read....

I think you should all read....

Postby bethany-rose » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:41 am

lord of the flies then tell me what happens so i can do well in my mock on monday

ive seen the play and film
and read about 3/4 of it

and i cant embed quotes and shiz if i havent read it...
(i know the story cos of class work but i just cba to finish it)
or maybe mitch could just tell me all the stuff ill need....
im sure hell know as a teacher an all!
so what will father christmas bring,
if everyones gone shoplifting?
bethany-rose
Lynx
Lynx

Re: I think you should all read....

Postby sgtpepperband » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:17 pm

P'ah! You'll be asking for free Carter MP3s next... :twisted: :wink:
Realise the impotence of proof reading everything you publish...
sgtpepperband
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby bethany-rose » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:38 pm

if only knowing carter lyrics would help me pass english lit...

have they by any chance covered savages, children killing each other, a collapse in society, a conch or a pigs head on a stick in any of the songs?

:D
bethany-rose
Lynx
Lynx

Postby sgtpepperband » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:44 pm

bethany-rose wrote:if only knowing carter lyrics would help me pass english lit...

have they by any chance covered savages, children killing each other, a collapse in society, a conch or a pigs head on a stick in any of the songs?

No. I think you should try the Milli Vanilli forum for that... :twisted:
sgtpepperband
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby Morgan le Fay » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:32 pm

sgtpepperband wrote:
bethany-rose wrote:if only knowing carter lyrics would help me pass english lit...

No. I think you should try the Milli Vanilli forum for that... :twisted:

Every post i read from you is about Milli bloody Vanilli! You're obsessed man!
fruity wrote:Mel is deffo the Force
Morgan le Fay
Tiger
Tiger

Postby sgtpepperband » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:48 am

Morgan le Fay wrote:...Every post i read from you is about Milli bloody Vanilli! You're obsessed man!

And I shall continue to be until the World appreciates their true talent and artisitic ability - dey wuz robbed!! :evil: :lol:
sgtpepperband
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby mitch » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:40 pm

You could have read it in the time you've been posting about not having read it! :lol: I read it when my brother did it for GCSE and it didn't take very long (despite me probably being a bit too young for it all).

Still, tell your teacher she/he should have done To Kill A Mockingbird instead, it's miles better. :D
Are you a sardine?
mitch
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby Twig the Wonder Kid » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:31 pm

It's a very good story; written by a very poor writer.
I don't think they were askin why they were dying;but why they'd ever lived
Twig the Wonder Kid
King Of The Forum Jungle
King Of The Forum Jungle

Postby mitch » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:26 am

Twig the Wonder Kid wrote:It's a very good story; written by a very poor writer.

I have to agree. One line always sticks with me from reading it as a young 'un. It was when Piggy falls off the cliff and dies and Golding writes (and this may not be word for word because I read it at least 13 years ago) 'his head opened and stuff came out'. You could argue he's narrating as one of the boys, but he doesn't seem to elsewhere so I can't quite see an excuse for that. My year 11s will be doing Mockingbird, I can tell you!

Still, I haven't written a novel so it's easy to criticise!
Are you a sardine?
mitch
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby ravey davey gravy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:35 am

Twig the Wonder Kid wrote:It's a very good story; written by a very poor writer.

I thought that exact same thing when I read Lord of the Rings
Derby, like London but closer to Nottingham
ravey davey gravy
King Of The Forum Jungle
King Of The Forum Jungle

Postby AnnieM » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:30 am

mitch wrote:

I have to agree. One line always sticks with me from reading it as a young 'un. It was when Piggy falls off the cliff and dies and Golding writes (and this may not be word for word because I read it at least 13 years ago) 'his head opened and stuff came out'. You could argue he's narrating as one of the boys, but he doesn't seem to elsewhere so I can't quite see an excuse for that. My year 11s will be doing Mockingbird, I can tell you!

The rock struck Piggy a glancing blow from chin to knee; the conch exploded into a thousand white fragments and ceased to exist. Piggy, saying nothing, with no time for even a grunt, travelled through the air sideways from the rock, turning over as he went. The rock bounded twice and was lost in the forest. Piggy fell forty feet and landed on his back across that square, red rock in the sea. His head opened and stuff came out and turned red. Piggy's arms and legs twitched a bit, like a pig's after it has been killed. Then the sea breathed again in a long slow sigh, the water boiled white and pink over the rock; and when it went, sucking back again, the body of Piggy was gone

that passage has haunted me for the last 15 years - always makes me feel quite queasy (and not because it's badly written!)
AnnieM
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby bethany-rose » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:00 pm

AnnieM wrote:
mitch wrote:

The rock struck Piggy a glancing blow from chin to knee; the conch exploded into a thousand white fragments and ceased to exist. Piggy, saying nothing, with no time for even a grunt, travelled through the air sideways from the rock, turning over as he went. The rock bounded twice and was lost in the forest. Piggy fell forty feet and landed on his back across that square, red rock in the sea. His head opened and stuff came out and turned red. Piggy's arms and legs twitched a bit, like a pig's after it has been killed. Then the sea breathed again in a long slow sigh, the water boiled white and pink over the rock; and when it went, sucking back again, the body of Piggy was gone

that passage has haunted me for the last 15 years - always makes me feel quite queasy (and not because it's badly written!)

that is one of the most used quotes when talking about the conch.
basically we do conch at beginning,conch in middle,conch at end
and so on with other symbols and stuff for symbolism questions

BUT
this version of piggys death was so good we re-wound it and watched it more times than we should have!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XEYqRMYIXQU
you can ignore most of it,its jsut the first bit that is from the actual film
bethany-rose
Lynx
Lynx

Postby Zwilnik » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:12 am

mitch wrote:You could have read it in the time you've been posting about not having read it! :lol: I read it when my brother did it for GCSE and it didn't take very long (despite me probably being a bit too young for it all).

Still, tell your teacher she/he should have done To Kill A Mockingbird instead, it's miles better. :D

and whatever you do, never, ever read any other William Golding books. I got stuck with "The New Ones" (oddly shows up as "The Inheritors" now, so maybe that was the US name for it) for my English Lit "O" level. It's one of the worst books ever written. Tedious, waffling, desperately trying to be deep and meaningful but written like a novel length dirge.
Zwilnik
Tiger
Tiger

Postby fruity » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:35 am

I must read more, this internet malarkey has ruined a good read for me.
Oh I do like to be beside the seaside, I do like to be beside the sea....
fruity
I am thought police
I am thought police

Postby Dionysus » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:14 pm

fruity wrote:I must read more, this internet malarkey has ruined a good read for me.

so true, all i do now is read online, it just isn't the same.
A well respected man about town
Dionysus
Lion-O
Lion-O

Next

Return to Book Club