I think you should all read....

Re: I think you should all read....

Postby Parry » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:22 pm

i try to read but have also been listening to a few audio books, while travelling around
Parry
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby Morgan le Fay » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:47 pm

I could never get into audio books, takes away some of the magic, for me.
fruity wrote:Mel is deffo the Force
Morgan le Fay
Tiger
Tiger

Postby mitch » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:07 pm

Morgan le Fay wrote:I could never get into audio books, takes away some of the magic, for me.

Same here, I just can't do audio books. I might be different if I had to do the driving Parry does because I used to need something soothing just for my old hour-and-a-bit journey every day.
Are you a sardine?
mitch
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby marcus_tandy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:36 am

Audio books for long car journeys are amazing. I'm no big Harry Potter fan but Stephen Fry's audio books are wonderful. All of my American work colleagues are now obssessed with Stephen Fry, just because of his audio books.

I love reading to bits, but I have room in my heart for audio books. They still make your mind work, and let you use your imagination, as you have to picture the events in your head. And a great narrator can really add to the enjoyment. I actually want to listen to more audio books this year.
marcus_tandy
Hip Cat
Hip Cat

Postby Parry » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:41 pm

i *cough* found a copy of the Jim Dale Harry Potter books, but they just aren't as good...
have you introduced them to Stephen Fry's Podcasts? - his latest one on language is brillent...
Parry
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby Dougie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:20 pm

I got a hold of the audio book of Robert Rankin's 'The Brightonmicon' which was on BBC7 recently. 7 hours of brilliant stuff.
Insert something witty here.
Dougie
King Of The Forum Jungle
King Of The Forum Jungle

Postby bethany-rose » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:40 pm

guess what....

i got one mark off an A* in my lit mock exam....

and i still havent read lord of the flies :D
so what will father christmas bring,
if everyones gone shoplifting?
bethany-rose
Lynx
Lynx

Postby bethany-rose » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:50 pm

well, i took the final exam that includes lord of the flies a week or so ago and i still havent read it...

i think i did pretty well though
bethany-rose
Lynx
Lynx

Postby bethany-rose » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:49 pm

panic over.

i got an a in english and english lit.so i now never have to read lord of the flies!
bethany-rose
Lynx
Lynx

Postby Twig the Wonder Kid » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:41 pm

You never have to...but it's still a good book.
I don't think they were askin why they were dying;but why they'd ever lived
Twig the Wonder Kid
King Of The Forum Jungle
King Of The Forum Jungle

Postby Big Tim » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:41 pm

Zwilnik wrote:and whatever you do, never, ever read any other William Golding books. I got stuck with "The New Ones" (oddly shows up as "The Inheritors" now, so maybe that was the US name for it) for my English Lit "O" level. It's one of the worst books ever written. Tedious, waffling, desperately trying to be deep and meaningful but written like a novel length dirge.

Twig the Wonder Kid wrote:It's a very good story; written by a very poor writer.

That's sorted then.

At the risk of sounding like a pretentious twat.

Twig, in my opinion - which is the only sensible one - that is utter shite. His style may challenge a linguistic pedant, but he was first and foremost a poet stating that he: "Wrote novels to support his writing of poetry like a catlover might breed dogs to earn enough to feed his cats." Poets sometimes use words wrong to make the picture better. In the context "Stuff came out" is genius, a suggestion of banal sociopathism is nailed in the simple phrase.

Zwilnik, I get your point, as a little savage myself when I read it I loved 'Lord of the Flies' enough to read more of his work and got through 'Pincher Martin', 'The Inheritors' (orignal title I believe) and 'The Spire' which were a little arduous for my young mind, I think I was about twelve and a monster for reading around that time, but there was something about the quality of the writing that I found compelling and fascinating and I'm now of a mind to read them again. I loved what his words created.

I don't think literature should be 'taught' in schools, it kills it for the kids, turns it into work and more often discourages, rather than encourages, the growth of that lovely bit of the mind that loves all that stuff. And don't get me started on critics, oh bugger, I've started a sentence with "and", that's going to completely disqualify me and invalidate my opinion. Doh!
spent a moment on my lips
Big Tim
King Of The Forum Jungle
King Of The Forum Jungle

Postby mekaine » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:15 pm

First half of the holidays was spent with Paddington Bear read by Stephen Fry. Not high brow but very very funny.
I lost my faith with my taste for sausages and hate.
mekaine
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby sgtpepperband » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:16 pm

mekaine wrote:First half of the holidays was spent with Paddington Bear read by Stephen Fry. Not high brow but very very funny.

Just "acquired" SF reading all of the Harry Potter audio books - thought it about time that I got around to finding out what the films were all about, but could never be bothered to read a bunch of kids books... :shock: :wink:
Realise the impotence of proof reading everything you publish...
sgtpepperband
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby phantomguitarist » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:43 am

I tried to read a Harry Potter (belonging to my mum, I wouldn't buy one) to my daughter when she was 5 or 6. I got less than a page done and she was bored stiff, as was I. That's the extent of the jakeys work that I have read. And I agree about Lord of the Rings, it always seemed to me like walking, walking, walking, a battle, lets have a feast... repeat. For the whole three books.

In fact this is the best review of Lord of the Rings I've ever seen.... alright so it's the film but it's still a bang on review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSB03lr69iU
CARTER THE STOPPABLE SEX MACHINE
phantomguitarist
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby mekaine » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:09 pm

I on the other hand love lord of the rings and harry potter and also narnia just for good measure.
I lost my faith with my taste for sausages and hate.
mekaine
Lion-O
Lion-O

PreviousNext

Return to Book Club