What are you reading right now?

What are you reading right now?

Postby BratGirl » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:29 pm

I'm reading:

and

White Noise is brilliant and I'd definitely recommend it. It's very dry and very funny, although it shouldn't be at all.
I'll be a post-feminist in the post-patriarchy.
BratGirl
Big Fat Ginger Tom
Big Fat Ginger Tom

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby sgtpepperband » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:08 am

The only Don DeLillo book I've read was "Libra":

Which I thought was an excellent 'factional' story about Lee Harvey Oswald (I'm a sucker for anything to do with the JFK assassination). "Libra" is a charged historical novel about the life of Lee Harvey Oswald and the assassination of JFK, which apparently took just over three years to write, a remarkably short period of time given the extensive research the book demanded.

Another pair of excellent books in this field is "Oswald's Tale" and "Harlot's Ghost":

Image Image

Both by Norman Mailer; "Oswald's Tale" knits together the story of Oswald's life and Mailer's suppositions on his state of mind and motivations; it concludes that Oswald was responsible for JFK's death, but attempts to understand his psyche in the build up to the tragic event.

"Harlot's Ghost" is a fictional account of the set up of the CIA, and was considered by Mailer to be one of his best novels. Harlot's Ghost is a 1300-page fictional inside view of working for the CIA during the 1950s and early 1960s, up to the assassination of John F. Kennedy.
Realise the impotence of proof reading everything you publish...
sgtpepperband
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby kittie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:07 pm

'Twilight' Stephanie Meyer. Wasn't sure what to expect really but it's actually quite a good read, I've got the next one 'New Moon' waitin patiently on the shelves.
That bird in the tartan skirt
kittie
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby mitch » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:15 pm

Finally reading The Kite Runner, I've been meaning to do for ages and I'm finding it fantastic and very moving so far. Supposedly the book he wrote after that is even better so I'll be getting hold of that too. Next I have A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian lined up, the person who lent it to me claimed it's funny and I'll probably need that by the time I finish the current one.

Our work book club has just prescribed a kids' book for the next read, which is a bit of a disappointment, but at least I can force myself to get to the end at a faster rate than what we've been offered so far. Never join a book club with so many members that they can only have books from the 'book club' service at the library.
Are you a sardine?
mitch
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby kittie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Can I borrow some of yours again Mitch? I loved the last ones you recommended so much that I bought them for myself!
That bird in the tartan skirt
kittie
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby phantomguitarist » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:27 pm

and then I will be following (through) with:

It's not as good as it used to be.
CARTER THE STOPPABLE SEX MACHINE
phantomguitarist
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby Morgan le Fay » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:02 pm

I'm going to start reading High Fidelity tomorrow. Had mixed reviews - so should be interesting.

Also I'm reading My grammar and I (or should that be me), just to remind my self of things I once knew, but have probably forgotten, and I'm re-reading Edgar Allen Poe collected poems, and The Secret Self - a century of short stories by women. After High Fidelity I have Fingersmith lined up.
fruity wrote:Mel is deffo the Force
Morgan le Fay
Tiger
Tiger

Postby phantomguitarist » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:15 pm

Liked Hi Fidelity movie. Thought Fingersmith was pretty rubbish.
CARTER THE STOPPABLE SEX MACHINE
phantomguitarist
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby Micky Teaspoon » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm with PG here. This:

is a proper book, and should be on the GCSE sillybus. I've read it times over. Never did me any harm :D
..the favourite phrase of those who've always had it better...
Micky Teaspoon
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby mitch » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:24 am

High Fidelity is OK. I prefer the book to the film but I got bored of Nick Hornby's writing style. It's probably OK if you just read that one but if you read a few more it gets tedious, and when he tries to write from the point of view of a woman it's just maddening!
Are you a sardine?
mitch
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby marcus_tandy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:38 pm

I am reading:
"Something to Tell You: A Novel by Hanif Kureishi"
I am 100 pages in. It's pretty good, but it's no 'Buddha Of Surburbia' which is one of my most fave books ever. I really must track down the tv series one of these days. I never watched it at the time. I love the book, I adore the Bowie soundtrack but never saw the series.
marcus_tandy
Hip Cat
Hip Cat

Postby perks » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:58 pm

Micky Teaspoon wrote:I'm with PG here. This:

is a proper book, and should be on the GCSE sillybus. I've read it times over. Never did me any harm :D

I am sure i have said this before but i have a word in that book :D

Lonk
I know how you did that
perks
Tiger
Tiger

Postby 2wheels » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:32 am

marcus_tandy wrote: but it's no 'Buddha Of Surburbia' which is one of my most fave books ever. I really must track down the tv series one of these days. I never watched it at the time. I love the book, I adore the Bowie soundtrack but never saw the series.

I read that many years ago on the recomendation of the girl I was seeing at the time. I remember absolutely loving it and reading it in a few days but now can't rememnber anything about it!! May have to track down a copy.

Back on track, I've not read a book for a bit, the downside of riding to work is that my normal reading time is my commute and that's gone. I received both Chris Hoy's and Bradley Wiggins' biographies at Christmas and enjoyed them both but haven't read anything since.

I quite fancy The Road, but not in the most optimistic of mindsets at present so not sure it would be a good idea. I've been looking for a copy of A Dog in a Hat, (yet another cycling bio, but this time from an also ran rather than a star) but don't seem to be able to find it other than online and there's something about buying a book online that seems soulless.
Metro-sexual chap around town with no boundaries. Allegedly.
2wheels
King Of The Forum Jungle
King Of The Forum Jungle

Postby Dionysus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:34 pm

I am going to finish the book on kierkegaard I am currently reading then i am going to read something that isn't about music (which all my books seem to be about). I think i'll finally try to read Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski
A well respected man about town
Dionysus
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby Micky Teaspoon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:17 pm

perks wrote:

I am sure i have said this before but i have a word in that book :D

Lonk

To save me closing my shop and going home to check in the book (which has pride of place in the cludgy) - what does it mean, Perks?
..the favourite phrase of those who've always had it better...
Micky Teaspoon
Lion-O
Lion-O

Next

Return to Book Club