What Are You Currently Reading?

Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Postby AmbientOne » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:50 pm

mitch wrote:One recently wrote in an essay that a pre-1914 poem used rhyming because 'people in the olden days couldn't even have a conversation without rhyming'. Cue Miss H banging her head against the wall. :roll:

This has made me laugh out loud - There's a bit less of that in the age group I worked with but I did work mostly with a student with the mental age of about 7 or 8, who walked around school saying 'bum' to other kids because it was the funniest thing he knew. I loved working with him, he's such an innocent lad. My kids didn't take to reading, but I did spend a lot of time with one lad and his Shakespeare. Thing is, I can't explain anything to anyone, so explaining Shakespeare to a year 10 pupil with learning difficulties is like smacking one's own head into brick walls...
"You tell me its the making of me/ that's a f***ing lie" - James
AmbientOne
Lynx
Lynx

Postby mekaine » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:18 pm

nce
mitch wrote:I just hate her books; which I find dull, identical and pointless. People can give me the 'feminist reading' bollocks but I'm not buying it! I generally find any novel focusing on nothing but boring rich people sends me to sleep, thankfully I had an A-level English teacher who had the same view and bought me Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South as a leaving present.

Seeing's turned out to be good so far. Currently they're debating whether a coalition government should be legal. Topical stuff!

The telly appears to have broken so I either bring down the heavy one from the bedroom or resist the urge to channel hop. I'll have finished all my new books in no time!

The other year when we or at least two of us decided on a literature holiday in one of my more ill placed ideas we went to Bath was there a whole of an hour to walk from the car park to the Austen museum right back out of the queue for the museum to the car park. Walked in hoity woman after about twenty seconds screeches at Cat DONT TOUCH WHAT YOU CANT READ. She was looking at a book she wanted me to buy in its shop, one she had already read but it probably had lace or something on its cover. We had on my side a polite conversation but I made the supposedly posh woman swear which amused someone in my company. Austen has since been labelled stuck up pretentious and very precocious and in my sons words a bit shit (grounded two days) They hate Bath dull boring clean and straight no hidden excitment. We went to Longleat and watched monkeys pull things of vans which was much more fun.
Bath was a mistake after doing Tolkien and Lewis in Oxford and Bronte in Yorkshire and Scarborough and the Swallows and Amazon Ransome thing in the lakes, I think we did the Burns trail that year too.

And we did Shakespeare and wandered about Stratford upon Avon for days which begs the question
so explaining Shakespeare to a year 10 pupil with learning difficulties

Really main stream secondary? Thats amazing I would love to do that job.

My son hates books but one day he WILL love them (or I will make him hate them forever not sure which way it will go yet).
I lost my faith with my taste for sausages and hate.
mekaine
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby mitch » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:35 am

My brother's just started reading properly; he's 30! Some just take a long time to learn how much it enriches them!
Are you a sardine?
mitch
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby Worcester Dan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:11 pm

reading part 6( of 3 :-) ) of Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, and another thing.., written by Eoin Colfer. Only just started it so open minded as yet
I turn on my box and it's like punk never happened
Worcester Dan
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby mitch » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:21 pm

Let me know how that is. I did Artemis Fowl, by the same author, with a year 7 class years ago and we all thoroughly hated it so I haven't dared read his Hitchhiker book.
Are you a sardine?
mitch
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby ravey davey gravy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:28 pm

just got Mark Kermodes 'Its only a movie'. Im not a big reader, too many Films to get through but so far its ace.
Derby, like London but closer to Nottingham
ravey davey gravy
King Of The Forum Jungle
King Of The Forum Jungle

Postby sgtpepperband » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:59 pm

ravey davey gravy wrote:just got Mark Kermodes 'Its only a movie'. Im not a big reader, too many Films to get through but so far its ace.

Is it a "tour de force"..? :lol:
Realise the impotence of proof reading everything you publish...
sgtpepperband
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby ravey davey gravy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:12 pm

sgtpepperband wrote:
ravey davey gravy wrote:just got Mark Kermodes 'Its only a movie'. Im not a big reader, too many Films to get through but so far its ace.

Is it a "tour de force"..? :lol:

It's a triumph!
ravey davey gravy
King Of The Forum Jungle
King Of The Forum Jungle

Postby AmbientOne » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:24 pm

The Eight Legged Atomic Dustbin Will Eat Itself. By Martin roach. Last edition.

I didn't know PWEI chose their name from a statement Carter USM made in an interview. I love how all my favourite bands are usually linked somehow.
"You tell me its the making of me/ that's a f***ing lie" - James
AmbientOne
Lynx
Lynx

Postby Worcester Dan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:56 pm

AmbientOne wrote:The Eight Legged Atomic Dustbin Will Eat Itself. By Martin roach. Last edition.

I didn't know PWEI chose their name from a statement Carter USM made in an interview. I love how all my favourite bands are usually linked somehow.

I thought it was something David Quantick had said about Jamie Wednesday.

Could not get into the new hitchers book.

Currently reading the Walking Dead comic, erm sorry graphic novel series.
I turn on my box and it's like punk never happened
Worcester Dan
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby mitch » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:52 pm

Given up on the last in the Larsson trilogy. He creates a good mystery but, jesus christ, they're badly written! I can only hope some of it is lost in the translation but I cannot cope with it any more. I might just look on wikipedia and find out what happens at the end to save my brain from suffering. Cut out the bizarre product placement and frustrating need to inform readers of the make, model and entire spec. of any electrical gadget; then delete needless new character backstories and you'd only have a novella, but a readable one.

Just finished Firmin, by Sam Savage. Only got it because a review for his more recent book in the Guardian went on about how great the first was. I can recommend it, it's quite good. Before that was Things We Didn't See Coming which was basically The Road but in a more traditional prose-style but more disjointed narrative one. Quick and easy, no life-changer.

I've picked up Lord of the Flies again because I have to teach it this year or next. Not sure if I can cope with all the repressed homoeroticism just yet.
Are you a sardine?
mitch
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby sgtpepperband » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:30 pm

"Redemption Song", the 'definitive' Joe Strummer biography. 8)
Realise the impotence of proof reading everything you publish...
sgtpepperband
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby Micky Teaspoon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:35 pm

sgtpepperband wrote:"Redemption Song", the 'definitive' Joe Strummer biography. 8)

Quality. The best Clash-related book I have read.

"Generation A" by Douglas Coupland.
..the favourite phrase of those who've always had it better...
Micky Teaspoon
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby Skywest and Crooked » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:54 am

Rupture - Simon Lelic. An awesome debut
Skywest and Crooked
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby ravey davey gravy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:35 pm

I got into the bath the other day and realised I hadn't taken my book in with me, so I picked up Mrs Gravy's latest 'womans book' A Friend Like Henry. Its about an autistic boy and his relationship with his dog. Mrs Gravy normally reads books with titles such as "A Child Called It" or "Not With My Daughter, You Don't!", at which she cries, tells me how horrible they are, then reads another. So I don't usually have much space for them in my, normally, positive world view. 'A Friend Like Henry' though is just brilliant and Ive enjoyed every part of it.

Ill get back to 'World War Z' and alike now though
ravey davey gravy
King Of The Forum Jungle
King Of The Forum Jungle

PreviousNext

Return to Book Club