Help needed!

A place for the photo spods to hang out

Help needed!

Postby harvey » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:15 am

I am looking for some guidance on selecting a new digital camera! I currently shoot with a Cannon EOS SLR (film), I vowed never to surcome to digital, but i have had such poor quality film development recently that I am now after a digital to try my hand!

I have read around and I am thinking of buying the Cannon DSLR 400d, body only as the reveiws of the standard 55mm lens read poor. I have already got the EOS zoom and wide angle lens, assume they can both be used on the 400d.

What i haven't a clue about (and should prob look for a course) but are all the fundamentals the same when it comes to taking the picture? So for example, if I want to change the shutter speed? Apature setting? depth of field etc? Is it worth using a manual over ride when pictures can be enhanced digitally after the pics are taken? I have a whooping collection of filters, are these used or not with digital?

What about memory cards? Do i have to get these seperately?

I really don't think i would be satisfied using a "point n press" compact, I am eager to learn but have been living n the dark ages for so long!!

Any help or guidance will be mucho appreciated!!! Ta!!
I love the way she glows in the ultraviolet light
harvey
Lynx
Lynx

Re: Help needed!

Postby mitch » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:36 pm

I have the 400d, you can probably get that cheaper now as the 450 is out.

You should be able to use the lenses you have so the kit lens probably isn't needed. Definitely use manual settings, which allow you to change everything you would on a film camera and more. Auto is a bit pointless if you're forking out for something worth that much, and you'll already know what all the settings mean if you've used a film SLR.

You still use filters with digital, as there are some things you can't alter digitally afterwards, plus it's better to get it right when you take the photo anyway.

If you go for the 400d you'll need Compact Flash cards, fairly cheap nowadays. I have a 4gb extreme III and it only cost about £30, probably cheaper now.
Are you a sardine?
mitch
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby Parry » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:16 pm

i keep thinking about getting a proper camera... but....
Parry
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby sgtpepperband » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:12 pm

Mrs SPB has had a Canon 300D D-SLR for about 3 years now, and recently attended a one-day Canon-endorsed experience seminar, run by professional photogaphers and technicians. She had a fantastic time and, despite being an experienced photograper, learned so much about her amera and techniques.

Details of the experience seminar programme can be found here.
Realise the impotence of proof reading everything you publish...
sgtpepperband
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby harvey » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:40 pm

cheers! I have found a 400d that I'm gonna purchase once the cheque has cleared (birthday money!) and I have just found a 12 week introductory course at the botanical gardens in Brum which sounds pretty cool! Will take a look at the cannon courses, thanks for the info.
harvey
Lynx
Lynx

Postby mitch » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:35 pm

Who's your course with? I'd quite enjoy doing something like that, though probably only have time for the one dayers. I am getting better but some 'in the field' advice would be great, and probably a lot of fun.
Are you a sardine?
mitch
Lion-O
Lion-O

Postby harvey » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:41 pm

Its run via the adult education centre, i rang the botanical gardens and they gave me the number of the education centre. There are loads of courses in and around brum, some offering 12 weeks beginners "get to know your camera" and basics on slr plus editing n stuff. The adult education centres do some courses with a basic qualification too, but thats not what I'm into. I lost my mobile otherwise i'd post the contact number....if you want the same course, pm me and i will sort the details out for you. The guy running the course actually takes you out into the gardens take arty pics too!! :D
harvey
Lynx
Lynx

Return to Photo Club